Search This Blog

Sunday, April 01, 2012

Sunday Doings

I slept late this morning - well for me it was sleeping in at least. Chatted with a friend on Facebook for awhile until it was time for her to leave for church and then the beach - wish I was walking along a beach. Instead I gathered up all the laundry and got it started while Scott made us a lovely breakfast. I have just 2 more loads to wash and then the laundry will be done until Wednesday. Greg's gal is having some health concerns and so has been staying with us for some extra TLC until she feels a bit better.

After breakfast I went out and mowed the back yard so the dogs weren't living in a jungle. It looks so pretty when it is freshly mowed. The rocker bench you see in this photo was a curbside rescue and I am planning to relocate it to a spot closer to the garden so that we can use it easier. I don't think we have ever sat on it in this current location. I'm thinking about cleaning up what we considered our little woodland garland until the power company sent the men out to cut the trees away from the power lines. It just looks awful now. I'm going to start working on it this week after I get off work each day. We have another bench that I want to relocate there as well and just have a nice shaded area to sit when we are working in the garden and need a little break. I may even paint the benches in some wild vibrant colors... a "HAPPY" spot in our garden. I have not mowed the front lawn as the kids have their vehicles parked on part of it; I will mow it during the week while they aren't here.
My flowering almond has really bloomed out with the rain that we have gotten. I so want to pot up a bunch of these to have ready to take with us when we move to the property one day... no idea when that will be but I can dream.

OH... back to the vegetable garden; here are the potatoes once more. They are growing nicely. The pair of old boots were Greg's when he was a teenager and he wore them until the soles came off and he out grew them. My plan is to fill them with dirt and plant some flowers in them as a little bit of whimsy in the garden.

I also sprayed my gazing ball off that I had in the front yard and put it in the vegetable garden as another bright bit of fun. I covered it with the flattened marbles in a floral design years ago and they are still holding tight to it. I never got around to putting the grout on it and I am glad that I didn't as I am toying with the idea of shoving a string of white Christmas lights up into it and making it into a garden lamp. HMMmmm...
When I was moving the gazing ball I felt an all too familiar burning sensation on my right ankle... a fire ant bite. It's swelling nicely and will develop an equally painful blister in a short time. I'll clean it out with peroxide and will take a Benadryl tonight; would take one right now but they always knock me out and I have too much to do today.

Scott has filled a bunch of the newspaper pots and we will be planting seeds in them. As well as direct sewing some seeds in the garden today. I just came in for a short break and some water but decided to post a bit while I was in here. Time to get back to work. Have a lovely Sunday!

2 comments:

  1. You have been busy! Love the blossoms and the little bench was a good find, just the thing I need for my back garden. Painting it a pretty colour might encourage you to sit on it now and again. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fire ant bite sounds bad. Your property sure keeps you busy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and for taking the time to comment on my post(s).

Another year nearly gone...

 Hello to all those that have followed this blog for some time. I have not posted in quite awhile so thought I would pop over and write some...