Search This Blog

Monday, April 16, 2012

Down side of working in retail

The down side of working retail is when the sales miss their mark payroll has to be cut... I was home before most people even get their day started today. I was asked to leave an hour early today and the rest of the week isn't looking good either. So I will have lots of time to get some things done around here this week. And the really bad part will be my check will be quite pitiful come pay day so I will have to tighten our belts a little tighter. Such is life.

I will also have plenty of time to cook from scratch... I all ready do for the most part. I will have time to really look through some of my old cookbooks as well as some old magazines that I have held onto because they contain some good recipes for people with diabetes. Scott calls the Light & Tasty magazine Light & Nasty as a few recipe's I tried in them in the past turned out to be not so good. But others have been wonderful and you never know until you try whether they will be "keepers" or "garbage". What I like about the magazines is that they contain the Nutritional information following the recipes so I can monitor the calories and carbs more easily.
I've been able to get my blood sugar down closer to "normal" just by watching my intake and if I have a HUGE jump I will know what made it happen and can add those foods to my list of "foods to avoid"; so far I have white rice and bananas on that list along with ice cream and baked goods. I would much rather control myself than "manage" the diabetes with medication.

I have a friend coming over in a little while to pick up her laptop that Scott wiped clean of Windows and installed Linux on so that she will have an operable machine that won't get all bugged up with junk like it did with Windows. It's crazy that people stick with Windows when Linux is FREE and actually WORKS! I love it! And I hope that she will as well.

Lakeside Cottage - By Sheldon Designs
The neighbors yard man is next door driving me crazy with that blasted weed eater... I wish he'd just finish up all ready - I am SO wanting to shove that machine somewhere the sun doesn't shine. OH to be up on our land in a cottage in our woods with REAL space between us and the neighbors. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Becky I am sorry about work retail does have some nasty downsides in this economy. I am glad you get to cook from scratch though.
    Someday you will be sitting in your quite piece of land writing about all this crazy life right now has offered you. It will get better I am sure.HUGS B

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Becky,

    Oh yes, the "joys" of working retail. That happened to me a few times, too... It's good that you know how to be thrifty, because that will help you to survive during these lean times!!!

    Okay, I'm sorry about the weed eater guy...but your comment just made me laugh :) :) Hopefully he'll stop making noise soon :) :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California,Heather :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and for taking the time to comment on my post(s).

Another year nearly gone...

 Hello to all those that have followed this blog for some time. I have not posted in quite awhile so thought I would pop over and write some...