Search This Blog

Saturday, August 06, 2011

A Thrifting We Did Go

Scott and I decided to check out some of the thrift shops on our side of town. First we went to Palmento thrift. It was "OK" but  the stuff was pretty worn. I did find one red cotton top by Liz Claiborn that was in really good shape but not my size. I still bought it for $1 and will be taking it apart and selvaging the buttons and using the fabric in a quilt.
The red shirt with the brown flowers is the shirt I bought at Palmetto Thrift.
Scott found the ink cartridges at the same store for $6 each and we are hoping that they will work in our color printer. The other two shirts (the blue plaid and the red paisley stripe) were bought at His House for $1 each. We also stopped at the Goodwill Clearance center. I didn't find anything there this time but Scott got a CD player for $8.
The Goodwill Clearance Center is all about the hunt as that is what you have to do; everything is in great huge bins that you have to paw your way through to find the treasures and then you pay $1.19 per pound. You line a trash can with a bag and fill it up and when you go to the check out they roll the bin up on the scale and you pay for the total weight x $1.19. I could have gone nuts with the book bins but decided to stick with looking for 100% cotton garments or sheets that can be made into quilts. It was a lot of fun for the 2 of us and then we came home for lunch... more lasagna; UGH getting tired of this leftover that goes on forever but doesn't cost us anymore to continue eating it. Next time I will cook it in two separate containers and freeze one for later.

I hope that everyone is having a very nice weekend. I'm going to go sew for awhile now.

5 comments:

  1. Oh I do love thrift shops....I found two great UK knitting mags greatly reduced outside the newsagent's yesterday when we went walkabout....great patterns for almost nothing.
    Hope you're having a great weekend...our baby is still not here lol!
    Love from Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love thrift, or as we call them Op as in Opportunity, shops. I've found some great buys and my latest is buying 100% cotton doona covers for a few dollars each. I can make so many things from this weight of cotton and it's very durable.
    Cheers,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea, salvaging the buttons and material from the red blouse. Our Goodwill has 99 cent day for one color each week. The clothes and shirts are the only things for that price but I often find dresses that have pretty buttons or long zippers and lots of cotton material.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The CD Player is now repaired and for sale on Craigslist.

    Scott.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be almost afraid to go to that by-the-pound shop. I could easily see myself getting in over my head.... But, it sounds awesome. I wonder if we have any of those around here.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and for taking the time to comment on my post(s).

Another year nearly gone...

 Hello to all those that have followed this blog for some time. I have not posted in quite awhile so thought I would pop over and write some...