Search This Blog

Friday, July 13, 2012

Up 30 Minutes BEFORE my alarm...

So I got up at 2:30 this morning. My neck and shoulders were killing me... too much over head lifting yesterday and I worked for a straight 8. I should have taken a break and a lunch but I didn't take any food with me as I wasn't scheduled for that long of a shift. We just got in SO MUCH for my department ( I work all of scrap-booking back through jewelry)... LOTS of little items to be opened and hung up on pegs... THOUSANDS OF PRODUCTS! And I just kept plugging away thinking if I just keep going I will get it completed... Lannie and I finished at 1 PM putting out the last of the stickers. We are getting in huge amounts right now as our Inventory was last month and they are refilling us big time getting ready for Christmas. I'm glad the weekend is just another 6 1/2 hour shift away... although I am truly hoping they will let me get off at 10 instead of 11:30 since I stayed over an hour and a half yesterday. FINGERS CROSSED! I've taken an Aleve so hopefully the pain will be gone before I leave for work.

This is Scott's new favorite water glass... it's a recycled Claussen's pickle jar. I'm not sure why he choose to make it his water glass but he can definitely tell which glass he has been using for water. It got me to thinking how easily it would be to recycle packaging into everyday useful items if we weren't so hung up on everything matching and being "perfect". How different our landfills would look.

We compost all our vegetable and fruit trimmings and peelings and the dogs eat meat leftovers. Although we try to eat every morsel of food so the dogs don't get frig snacks very often. Leftovers are used for other meals whether eaten reheated as they are or turned into a new dish. The compost created is added to our vegetable garden to feed our vegetable plants who in turn feed us again... it's all such an amazing cycle when you start thinking about it. I'd rather our food debris worked for us instead of being added to landfills mixed up with the latest appliance or household trash dis-guards. We shred our junk mail and use it as mulch. I'm trying harder NOT to fill that  HUGE green trash can each week that the City picks up to add to the landfill.

Scott and I have talked about how "if we could go back" we would never have gotten on board with having matching dishes and only new appliances. We would have started housekeeping together with thrift store dishes and we wouldn't care if ANY of them matched... it's all about function for us. And we would not have moved into a larger home. But we can't go back what we CAN do is change our thinking now.
A Gift Nearly Completed.
My biggest weakness when it comes to buying "stuff" is the sewing and crafting items. But then even that got me to thinking about those items; they don't remain as they come into our home... I turn those into items to be given to family and friends. Or for our own personal use. I'm not a clothes horse and I don't wear any make-up and I don't desire the biggest TV or the latest appliance or jewelry.... just give me things to keep my hands and mind busy. I enjoy traveling but don't desire to spend a fortune doing it so Scott and I find cheap or FREE outlets for our traveling desires. We both enjoy reading so indulge in a book now and then but it's not often. We utilize the library when time allows and we read a LOT online. We don't have cable TV... just Internet service and we watch shows online at TV Links. We enjoy this as we aren't bombarded with commercials; neither of us can stand to sit and watch a show on regular TV anymore.

So we are UNIQUE... sometimes YES... even a little weird but we like it that way!

4 comments:

  1. i can completely relate to your thoughts as you look back over the choices you have made over the years. i have done the same things! i remember many years ago actually crying because none of my furniture matched!! i can't believe how shallow i was. Now i love it that things don't match but look good together. i guess (hope) that maturity has set in!
    Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Becky my house is furnished with auction sale and thrift store stuff. I do not require a lot to make me happy. My biggest expense is this internet access, expensive a downfall from living in the country. I don't think I could give it up. We have antenna TV we do not fight over what to watch the selections are limited:)
    You are going to be just fine Becky things will work out.Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to say I like weird maybe because I am weird too:) Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky< I love this post today!! I also wanted to let you know I deleted B.T.E .and started a
    new blog peaceofmind-mi.blogspot.com..ironic the reason for my change was in part because of what you have said here about your life:)
    ~~HUGS~~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and for taking the time to comment on my post(s).

Another year nearly gone...

 Hello to all those that have followed this blog for some time. I have not posted in quite awhile so thought I would pop over and write some...