Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Saying "Thank You" - SORRY A RANT!

How often do people say "Thank You" to the people waiting/serving/helping them and how often do they complain about the same people. Why are people so focused on being rude and how often do they say something mean about a service person when their needs aren't being met fast enough? Why have people lost what it is to be HUMAN?

I was thinking about this today while ordering a quick hamburger and iced tea at a drive through. I told the gal "Thank you" for taking my order... I said, "thank you" to the person who took my money and I said "Thank You" to the lady that handed me my order. I wonder how many times they get to hear that. I know that the best Guest Service ends with a "Thank you"... ALWAYS! Wouldn't it make our service people more willing to help us if we just said "THANK YOU" - TWO WORDS - thats it. Wouldn't it lighten their burden... why is it so hard to be kind and put ourselves in other peoples shoes?

Instead of griping at a long line or turning nasty toward your waitstaff/cashier because you are having to wait a little longer for an order from the kitchen on a busy night in a restaurant or waiting in a long line on a busy day... remain calm and watch whats going on around you. Is your cashier doing all she can... is she dealing with 5 nasty customers before you and bracing herself for your avalanche of nastiness? Is you waitstaff waiting on more than 5 tables... how many people are sitting at all those table"? Do you know whats going on in the kitchen? Are they short a prep cook or a dishwasher? All these things will affect his or her ability to handle your "demands/needs". Businesses run on a tight budget and when it comes to payroll it can be quite limited... think about this... where is the first and fastest place to cut expenses.. PAYROLL! You are important to a business but what gives you the right to be nasty at someone that is working his or her tail off to try to meet the needs of 20 to 50 people in the limited amount of time that they have been allotted? What can we do to make THEIR day better? It's not always about you or me... what have you  done to help ease another persons daily burdens? A "Thank You" would be a GREAT place to start".

3 comments:

  1. Hey Becky I totally agree I am Canadian and we tend to say Thank you and sorry all in the same sentence constantly I think it is genetic.
    So Thank you Becky and I am sorry you have rude people who don't appreciate you.. HUGS B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always say thank you to people who have served me or provided a service...it's just good manners. As a child I copied my mother who always said thank you to the bus driver as we got off the bus; I still do it but they seem so surprised about it. I feel for staff who are working in businesses that are understaffed supposedly because of the GFC; they get a lot of !@#$ from impatient customers because service is slow. In the job that I have just finished, in the weeks where we took pre-poll votes from the public, I was on the receiving end of people's abuse. One woman was particularly vicious! sigh..

    ReplyDelete
  3. great entry to your blog, sometimes I wonder also if it is really so much effort of saying thank you :) to someone for being nice and actually being courteous :) xxx love your blog and your writing xxx big hugs to you my friend and great goodies you won again, oh my word you are so lucky , seems like three times in a row hehe wow , me and Gina and this other package :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and for taking the time to comment on my post(s).

Another year nearly gone...

 Hello to all those that have followed this blog for some time. I have not posted in quite awhile so thought I would pop over and write some...