Search This Blog

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Searching for Recipes

OK so I was following along with the "On My Mind" Weekly visits to others' blogs and came across this post... Pickled Lemons Recipe Request ; so it got me thinking about Pickled Lemons. I looked through several of my own preserving books and came across this recipe in my Stocking Up book....



See the recipe following the Pickled Lemons; it's for Pickled Peaches and Scott and I got to talking about it and he ended up calling his mother for her Pickled Peaches recipe which led to a trip to her house to pick up this treasure...

Here is the recipe she used for Pickled Peaches:

She told us she never used brown sugar just white sugar because when she was a young bride they didn't have money for brown and it worked just fine. She also told us that her Mother's copy of this book is in better shape and she believes it to be at Uncle Jessie's house - I would LOVE this cookbook. It has some REAL treasures in it; like these:

See what I mean! I love these old recipes! Simple basic ingredients; straight forward instructions can't be beat!

Book credits:

Stocking Up: How to Preserve the Foods You Grow Naturally; By the Editors of Organic Gardening and Farming 
Copyright 1977 Rodale Press, Inc 
ISBN 0-87857-167-1


RUMFORD COMPLETE COOKBOOK; By Lily Hartworth Wallace
Copyright dates of 1rst edition 1908 to 43rd edition 1948 By Rumford Chemical Works
Could not locate an ISBN #.

6 comments:

  1. Okay, that "eggs in prison" recipe actually looks really good. The title alone screams to make the recipe ;) :) :) M y dad will LOVE this and get a good laugh out of it, too :) :) I hope you can get that cookbook. They're like little time capsules aren't they ? :) :) :) Have a lovely weekend. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks wonderful. I love old cookbooks and books about homemaking.
    Thank you so much for sharing.
    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom used to can pickled peaches. They were so good in the winter time. She used the same recipe Scott's mom used. We couldn't afford brown sugar either, mom traded eggs for white sugar at the grocery in our little town.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love old cookbooks. I have the Rumford Complete Cook Book but it has a green cover and is copyright 1933. It seems that the recipes are so much simpler in the old books but they're still so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic Becky. Research well done! Don't you love the title Eggs in Prison.
    THANK-YOU!
    Cheers
    Ro

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, those old cookbooks can be fascinating can't they? I love the names too. They do look very do-able and the pickled peaches sound most intriguing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and for taking the time to comment on my post(s).

Another year nearly gone...

 Hello to all those that have followed this blog for some time. I have not posted in quite awhile so thought I would pop over and write some...