Search This Blog

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Vegetable garden

Soft Neck garlic

While Scott mowed the back lawn this morning I worked some in our vegetable garden. I cleaned out 3 raised beds and together Scott and I harvested the "soft neck" garlic (it's like what you buy in the grocery store). The garlic that I harvested I took the time to braid them together for easier hanging and drying. I may braid Scott's garlic harvest tomorrow. I transplanted the larger yellow squash and cucumber plants that I had started from seed earlier this year. I hope that they will survive the transplanting. I also transplanted the little pepper plants even though they haven't all gotten their "true" leaves. I hope that these little guys make it as I have chow chow to make and I want to can a bunch of jalapeƱos as I LOVE THEM! I planted the last bed in beets as I want the greens as well as the beets for pickled beets.  
Volunteer tomato and Zinnia

OH I almost forgot I have a volunteer tomato and a zinnia in this one bed where the garlic is hanging and I decided to just let them "grow where they are". The tomato plant all ready has some blooms on it. 
Yellow Squash and cucumbers

Scott's trashed picked mower and the cleaned up and planted beds in the garden.
Tomorrow morning I will go out and clean up 5 more raised beds and get them planted up with the little tomato plants and some mesculen mix for salads. I don't know where we will plant all the tomatoes that I have started but we will make them fit somewhere. And I also have a LOT more little cucumbers to plant - PICKLES! I hope to have enough to make some pickles.  Also tomorrow morning I plan to re-do the rose bed; I want to transplant the ramblers away from the screened porch so that when Scott does fix the screen again the roses won't rip it to shreds - right now he is too disgusted with roses and animals tearing up the screen that he refuses to fix it. I'm thinking we should just turn it into a sun-room and have windows at the bottom and the top to open and recirculate air.
 The little wind mill has been spinning nearly all day with the gentle breeze that's been blowing. You can see Amelia's work in the yard in the back ground - BAD DOG! DIGGER! At least she doesn't dig out - KNOCKING ON WOOD!
  

4 comments:

  1. Your garden beds look great. I hope to find some jalapeno, tomato and pepper plants at the garden center soon. I don't have room to start anything inside.

    I love rambler roses and have seen the damage done by some of them. Poor Scott, maybe he'll decide your idea of turning the screened room into a sun-porch is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y'all had a very productive day..I planned to get outside but woke up in pain ...all we accomplished was going to a few flea markets that just opened in our area...~~HUGS~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your veggie garden looks really nice. I'm hoping we'll get some raised gardens done on our one concrete strip because we don't have gardens at our rental but we'll have to see how the budget goes. I want to plant tomatoes (3 varieties in particular), spring onion, peas, capsicum, lettuce and carrots and loads and loads of strawberries :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the garden! Someday we'll have one, but for now we will admire yours and pray you have a bountiful harvest!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and for taking the time to comment on my post(s).

Another year nearly gone...

 Hello to all those that have followed this blog for some time. I have not posted in quite awhile so thought I would pop over and write some...