Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Dear Ma

Dear Ma;

I was thinking about you today and wishing I could just pick up the phone and call you. I miss you so much every day and there are always things I'd like to ask you.

I miss afternoon tea with one of your famous rolled molasses cookies with Dream Whip on top.

I miss watching you water your plants in the greenhouse and how happy you were when the Camilla and Amarillas would bloom. Or when those sour little oranges would come on and you'd pick some and bake an "Orange Meringue Pie".

I miss hearing you talk to the hens and threaten the rooster.

I miss tagging along with you over the hill to the church and Grange Hall when you'd go over to mow the lawns. Or we'd drive down to the "lower place" to the old barn foundation to pick raspberries. Your little riding law mower with matching cart took us all over that hill.

I miss walking "out back" to the sap house and into the woods behind to gather sap or pick black caps depending on the time of the year.

I miss pulling down the pole beans and putting them in the old carriage shed to dry.

I miss talking with you about what I learned in school and will never forget how curious you were about reproduction even after having 9 children of your own. You were so fascinated to know exactly how your body had worked to produce those children... even in your 70's.

I miss helping you hang clothes on that long line that we propped up with cut trees with "Y" at  the top to hold the clothes off the grass.

I miss oh so much of our time together and hope that you enjoyed your time with me as much as I did with you.

Love Rebecca (You never called me Becky)

6 comments:

  1. Becky , this is a lovely sentimental post..If I ever chose to write a letter like this it would be to my Granny ..so many things to ask.. mostly, homesteading and survival skills acquired by living during the Depression on the Family Farm...~~HUGS~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful post Becky, with so many memories! I found my self picturing the two of you doing the things that you described :-) *hugz*

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful picture you paint of the relationship you had with your mother! I hope my children look back on their childhood with me and have such fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a lovely post for your mom , it is so beautifully written xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Becky this is absolutely beautiful. You made me cry. Your Mom sounds like a wonderful woman I am sure you miss her terribly. HUGS HUGS B

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I understand.... Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and for taking the time to comment on my post(s).

Another year nearly gone...

 Hello to all those that have followed this blog for some time. I have not posted in quite awhile so thought I would pop over and write some...