Search This Blog

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Saturday Doings


I went out into the garden with every intention of pulling up all the turnip and mustard greens that had bolted and were blooming heavy but I just couldn't bring myself to do it with all these wonderful honey bees just working their hearts out happily amongst the blooms...
Scott captured the above shots of the bees - I just couldn't time any of mine right and they all turned out blurry. You can see their pollen sacks just loaded up. Scott asked... "Since they are gathering from mustard greens will the honey taste like "honey mustard"?.... HMMMmmm... something to ponder me thinks.

I stayed out in the garden for about an hour and got 3 of the beds weeded before a huge raindrop hit my cheek and the sky grew dark. So we have 3 beds ready for amendment with some compost and mulch. I did stir up one large toad; wish I had a picture of it as it was the most unusual color, almost red. This is what the garden looked like when I came back in..
In the bed that looks white (that is shredded paper) I discovered that the potatoes I planted that had sprouted in our potato bin have come up and look quite healthy.
They're hard to see in this picture but with the rain we've been getting today I am sure they will grow like crazy. I'll take another photo in just a few days.
Scott and I went to Tractor Supply for some dog food, seeds and starting mix and when we got home we made up some newspaper pots. He did his one way and I did mine another. My method was faster and easier I think as I made more than he did in less time.
During a short break in the rain I looked up and out the window and saw this amazing sight.....


A DOUBLE rainbow! It is absolutely pouring rain now - I can hardly see the neighbors house across the street it's coming down so hard. Makes me glad we are all home and safe.

More fun tomorrow~

2 comments:

  1. It's been raining off and on here today. I'm so thankful for the rain. I can hear the drops outside my window :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really scared to honey bees. Be careful on them! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and for taking the time to comment on my post(s).

Another year nearly gone...

 Hello to all those that have followed this blog for some time. I have not posted in quite awhile so thought I would pop over and write some...