Search This Blog

Saturday, August 07, 2010

What happened to today?


This day has just flown right by. Scott worked on 2 different mowers today - one push mower and one riding mower. The push mower was a pretty easy fix and it went back with Scott's friend, Larry. The riding mower is going to take a bit more work. He is having to take the engine completely apart to fix it so he will continue on that tomorrow. I had planned to sew some today but got side tracked with a trip to Publix and watching Julia Child on PBS.com. I bought the ingredients to make her recipe for "Tarte Tatin" - a delicious caramelized apple dessert. I was going to make it today but Greg decided to take over the kitchen to make Mead - so I'll wait until tomorrow to make the dessert. The Mead will be "working" for 6 months Greg told me - GREAT!

This afternoon I made another attempt to find a few tomatoes that were good to eat on our tomato plants. We are having a horrible time with end rot. I did find a few that we will be able to eat once they finish ripening; I didn't want to leave them out there to rot. While out there I tied some of the plants up with pantyhose as they were over from the shear weight of the tomatoes on the plants. I weeded one of the walkways where we don't have rolled roofing down to keep the weeds away between raised beds and then I turned the soil in the 2 raised beds along one side of the cleared path and in one of the raised beds I planted lima beans and in the other I planted some pole beans and used some of the excess tomato cages for them to eventually climb up. I am hoping that we will be able to have a nice Fall garden as the summer garden was pretty much a flop. Just too hot.


Photo is of Larry - Scott's friend; taken at our wedding in 1985.

4 comments:

  1. That is great that Scott can work on lawn mowers. He is a good mechanic!

    Yes, it is too hot to even go out in the garden to get a tomato if one survived this heat. I hope you have good luck with your fall garden.

    That handsome young man in the picture must be your soldier son.

    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOPE! That's our friend Larry at our wedding in 1985. He was Scott's Best Man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Scott can fix just about anything and can reverse Engineer down to the component level on most anything electronic or mechanical - it's one of the reason's we can't understand why someone won't hire him for a Supplier Quality Engineering position. If we could have seen in a crystal ball 20 years ago we probably would have planned all our retirement to occur when he reached 50 since no one will hire him for what he is best at now that he is past 50.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Becky...Your hubby is so smart to be able to pull apart that engine and fix it. I would never try something like that. ..not Mead either...so hopefully you'll get the kitchen today...it's Sunday :) :) :) The mead....that takes 6 months? That's a long time too...but hopefully it'll taste good!!! My dad has a hard time too getting hired for any job outside of this company called Harry & David!!! He's almost 60... but somehow God provides in the meantime :) :) :) Have a lovely day today. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and for taking the time to comment on my post(s).

Another year nearly gone...

 Hello to all those that have followed this blog for some time. I have not posted in quite awhile so thought I would pop over and write some...