Search This Blog

Saturday, June 09, 2012

Blackberry Update


Scott and I had a marvelous time picking blackberries. We plan to go again next weekend as there were a lot more red ones that will be ripened by next weekend. I'm much faster at picking but my childhood was spent in a berry patch of one form or another with my Grandma. In Upstate NY we would forage for berries all the time in the Spring and Summer. I was just trained by a REAL Pro-Berry Picker.
MIne is on the left and Scott's pal is on the right.
I was welled prepared too as I wore jeans tucked into a pair of Scott's socks and wore my steel toed boots. I also wore one of Scott's old long sleeved shirts and my straw hat. I still got caught in the briars a couple times but not nearly as bad as I would have been without the long sleeves. And I didn't suffer any chigger bites... one time suffering with those was enough for a life time. Don't know about chiggers? Google CHIGGERS and be prepared to be grossed out. A lot of people think they actually crawl under your skin but that is not so... just Google them.


I'm thinking about making blackberry jam in the morning; I'm too weary to do it tonight. Even though we were out picking for only about an hour the sun was all ready beating down on us and that always wears me out. It really is something you need to be out doing just as the sun is about to rise. I had to take a nap after we ate lunch. If I get the jam made tomorrow; Monday morning I will make some homemade biscuits and take some butter and jam into work for my co-workers. I know they would enjoy that and we rarely getting the BIG rewards as we leave before they appear so occasionally I like to take things in to "reward US" for our hard work and all we do... it's that Manager inside me that won't completely go away. I can't help but want to celebrate the backbone of the Retail Business.

2 comments:

  1. I think you must have mentioned 'chiggers' last year Becky, and I looked them up then...they sound like our 'midges'...horrid things! Your fellow workers must love it when you take in treats and as you say 'it's that manager inside me'...but I only ever had 2 bosses in nearly 40 years of paid work, who ever did anything like that for the staff...and they were women too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't have chiggers here, but they've always filled me with a little horror. Good for you to be prepared. That makes the difference with most things.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and for taking the time to comment on my post(s).

Another year nearly gone...

 Hello to all those that have followed this blog for some time. I have not posted in quite awhile so thought I would pop over and write some...