Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Recipe and the next post will be a GIVE-A-WAY!

So my next post will be my 1500th since I started this blog and I've decided to have a little give-a-way. So watch for it.... it will be for USA mailing addresses only as overseas mailing is too expensive for me right now. Sorry to those in other countries - wish I could but just can't right now.

Here is a recipe I promised to post a little while ago for CHOW- CHOW using green tomatoes. It is SO GOOD!

This recipe is from the KERR Home Canning and Freezing Book 1982

CHOW-CHOW

1 peck (12 1/2 pounds) green tomatoes
8 large onions
10 green bell peppers
3 tablespoons salt
6 hot peppers (chopped)
1 quart vinegar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon cloves
3 tablespoons dry mustard
Few Bay Leaves
1 3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup horseradish (optional - but I wouldn't leave it out)

CHOP tomatoes, onions and peppers together and cover with salt; let stand overnight. Drain, add the hot peppers, vinegar, spices (TIED IN CHEESE CLOTH BAG) and sugar; allow to boil slowly until tender (about 15 minutes). Add horseradish. Pack into sterilized Kerr jars to within 1/2-inch of top. Put on cap, screw band firmly tight. Process in Boiling Water Bath 5 minutes.

Kerr is a named brand for anyone that does not know. I put mine up in small jelly sized jars; I WON'T do that again - use pint sized jars. This Chow-Chow is so good on beans, cabbage and even hot dogs. If I have enough to make this up this year I plan to make a minimum of 2 batches. Our entire family loved this stuff and it made awesome Christmas gifts that year.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness you have my mouth watering for chow chow. I haven't made it in years but saved your recipe to can some this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had quite a time locating horseradish but I'm so glad my DH was so diligent and found some for me at Publix. The horseradish really makes a WORLD of a difference in the flavor. Even my Mother-in-law said this was better than her recipe.... now what does that tell ya? ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that sounds really yum! Will try this on the weekend I think.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and for taking the time to comment on my post(s).

Another year nearly gone...

 Hello to all those that have followed this blog for some time. I have not posted in quite awhile so thought I would pop over and write some...