Search This Blog

Friday, October 05, 2012

Furniture with a story

This piece of furniture was a curbside rescue... headed for the dump heap. It resides in our hallway next to the hall bathroom. It holds childhood memories, items I've created with my own hands, cookbooks that our son Greg is collecting and will one day take with him when he moves out and my stationery. I used to write "snail mail" letters to people all over the planet but have now turned to Internet communication like most everyone else. And yet I still hold onto that old stationery because I still write to people on occasion. There are also some items that belonged to my Mother when she was a child and there are seashells we collected on South Carolina Beaches as well as Tybee Island shells. The paper heart was made for me by Greg when he was a little boy and it has two Ying Yang symbols on it that the other children picked on him about because they weren't hearts. Greg understands life is about balance and finding what works for him... he has always thought "outside the box". THANKFULLY!

I also have two hand made rolled wax candles that my niece, Gwen made for me when she was little. She recently moved across the country to Seatle and we all miss her but wish her well.

Let's see whats behind Greg's paper heart... shall we?
Do you see anything that reminds you of YOUR childhood? The little tea cup set was my Mothers as well as the little elephant. The little baby doll toward the center back is wearing a little dress and panties that my Mother crocheted for her and sent to me years ago when I lived in New York with Grandma (Ma). The little doll to the left was an item Scott bought over seas when he was in the Navy. Lots of memories in this cabinet... you know the kind that are truly cherished. There is a green cat bank that my Mother bought for me after we had left the Lawyers office when she was divorcing my first Step-father. The plastic red and yellow bird whistles like a real bird when you fill the bottom with water and blow on his tail. The red and yellow chicken lays bubble gum eggs... after you shove them in that is... I always thought that part was just wrong having grown up with real chickens and we never had to put eggs inside them for some to come out. HA HA... the mind of a child. The little cat in the chair is actually two pieces and the chair opens up as a little box. Bugs Bunny will dance if you push up on his platform. There are some "Art" dolls that I received in a swap a few years ago. And more...

What's in your cabinet?

3 comments:

  1. That's a lovely curbside find and so neat that you have it filled with so many different and special things too.

    Have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is a beautiful cabinet I would have hauled that into my Jeep if I seen it on the curb.
    I love hearing the stories of your Memory pieces. I too have a cabinet or maybe two of memories that keep me going in those rare times of doubt or sadness.
    Alas I do not have to many memory pieces from my childhood when you have six brothers that stuff seems to disappear mysteriously:) B

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful solid looking cabinet and you gave it a 'second chance' to be useful! Love looking at the photos and reading about all those knick knacks of yours...such memories for you :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and for taking the time to comment on my post(s).

Another year nearly gone...

 Hello to all those that have followed this blog for some time. I have not posted in quite awhile so thought I would pop over and write some...