Search This Blog

Friday, February 25, 2011

Progress on the "Cake Square" Table topper

I started today but getting the laundry sorted and started and the kitchen cleaned up from breakfast. Then I jumped back into the "cake square" project. But first let me back up a bit and explain what the "Cake Squares" are all about. An on-line friend, Diane and I swapped (4) 10 1/2" squares of each theme - "coffee cake", "Strawberry Shortcake"; and "Irish creme" cake. Once I received the squares from Diane I went about cutting them up into 5" and 2 1/2" squares enough to make the center and a narrow border. This morning I pulled 3 different browns from my stash and posted pictures on Facebook as well as the on-line Quilter's group that Diane and I belong to get opinions of which brown would make the best border...
Majority ruled that the one on the bottom was best.


While I was waiting for the in-put I sewed all the little squares together to create the next border; then I added a 6" strip of the chosen brown all around. I did add some 6" squares to each corner as the width of the brown fabric wasn't quite enough to cover the full expanse of the quilt. And this is where I left off for tonight...
Tomorrow I will add the little squares border and then perhaps another narrow border using the brown at the top of the first picture. Then I'll quilt and bind it. I can hardly wait to put this on my kitchen table.

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by and for taking the time to comment on my post(s).

Another year nearly gone...

 Hello to all those that have followed this blog for some time. I have not posted in quite awhile so thought I would pop over and write some...