Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Basic Ingredients

When you cook from scratch you can create just about anything in 20 minutes or less. Last night I was in the mood for some biscuits and homemade jam. The Blackberry Jam was all ready made and in the refrigerator. So all I had to do was make some biscuits; the only milk in the house was buttermilk (shucks) so I looked up a recipe for Buttermilk Biscuits and found a wonderful one in this book....
Here is the recipe:

BUTTERMILK BISCUITS

2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 Tbls. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. salt
1/3 cup lard or shortening
3/4 cup Buttermilk

*Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in lard until mixture resembles coarse meal or crumbs.

* Make a hollow in flour-shortening mixture and stir in enough milk to make a soft dough that leaves the sides of the bowl and sticks to the mixing fork.

* Turn onto lightly floured surface and knead with heel of hand 15 times, roll 1/4 to 1/2" thick.

* Cut with a 2" cutter; lift cutouts to un-greased baking sheet with broad spatula. Place close together for soft sides, 1" apart for crusty sides.

*Bake in very hot oven (450*F) 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve at once. Makes 12 to 16 biscuits.



The book that this recipe came from is one of my older cookbooks ( I LOVE OLD COOKBOOKS) Copywrite 1969 - It originally cost $4.50. It was hand inscribed with "May 21, 1969 Margaret Jensen 240 E 20th St Tracy, California". Library of Congress Catalog card Number 69-10973. It's a wonderful book and wealth worth the hunt to find.
FOUND IT on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/HOMEMADE-BREAD-Editor-Journal-NICHOLS/dp/B000AMW3XK/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278420282&sr=8-9

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, beautiful biscuits and homemade jam. You're makin' me hungry! Visiting from Gerry's Soaps blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting me! These biscuits were melt in your mouth! I was worried we wouldn't eat all the jam I made but we have just 1 full jar left. Next year I will be making more that is for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and for taking the time to comment on my post(s).

Another year nearly gone...

 Hello to all those that have followed this blog for some time. I have not posted in quite awhile so thought I would pop over and write some...